Melco N1 and N1/2 are audiophile grade source components to access, store and deliver Hi-Res Digital Music without any of the compromises of computers and their peripherals. They are both music store and UPnP server for Ethernet connected streaming solutions, and are also a source for a USB connected DAC. When connected to an USB-DAC, the internal player can be controlled directly from the front panel as well as by network App. The USB-DAC player supports DSD as both DoP and as Markerless DSD (Not DoP). There is no need for a PC in order to setup or manage the system and there is no data switch or IT device in the signal path to come between you and your music.
Melco will import or play music from a USB connected optical drive. Optical drive is automatically recognised - no setup or configuration.
- CD-DA/CD Extra/Mixed-Mode CD are supported.
- Gracenote Metadata and High Resolution Cover-Art
- Support for DATA Disc
- Imported CD is automatically placed into import_CD folder for easy music management.
- Menu items allows for setting of CD loader offsets for bit perfect import.
- Compatible CD Drives
- MELCO, D100
- Pioneer, BDR-S09J-X
- Buffalo, BRXL-16U3
- Other Drives may work with N1. Please check with your dealer.
- Compatible USB Drives
- MELCO, E100
- BUFFALO, HD-PNF Series
- Other USB 2.0/ 3.0 USB drives may work with N1. Please check with your dealer.
Unlike PC based system, simple and high quality Audio Component
Unlike PC based systems, Melco has a dedicated PLAYER port. This allows connection directly to the network Streamer or Player without any data switch in the signal path which would damage the music data.
This direct connection concept we call Direct Streaming Music – DSM – and it is unique to Melco as in conjunction with the Ethernet purifier between the LAN and PLAYER ports DSM ensures that the Player receives only clean and accurate data, all packets are timed with low-jitter precision and all unwanted traffic is blocked. LAN lights can be disabled for highest possible data integrity.
There are two methods of operation – Network Mode is the default and allows a Tablet connected to the Wi-Fi to control the player as normal. But for ultra-pure music playback DIRECT MODE can be selected – in this case there is no need for any external Ethernet or IT components, and the Melco acts as DHCP server to the Player. Browsing and control is then from the player front panel.
- The Local USB-DAC player can be used in the same manner as the Network Player. The Local USB-DAC player is simply controlled from a UPnP Control App on a Smartphone or Tablet on the network. The App discovers the N1 - DAC as a Digital Media Renderer or Player on the Network as soon as a DAC is connected to the N1.
- The N1 is connected to various Hi-Fi USB-DAC using a standard USB lead.
- The N1 Local USB-DAC Player supports PCM up to 384 kHz / 32 bit, and DSD up to 11.3 MHz Quad DSD.
- Automatic sample rate adjustment to match the capabilities of the connected DAC - e.g. 192 kHz is automatically downsampled to play on a 96 kHz capable DAC.
- Automatic conversion of DSD to 32 bit PCM for USB DAC that does not support DSD. (Manual setting in the Menu)
- The Melco Local USB-DAC player can be easily controlled by your favorite UPnP control Point (App).
- The Playlist can be stored either on N1 (Mode 1) to allow the playlist to be maintained even if the App is out of contact, or the Playlist is stored on the App (Mode 0) when the App requires it.
- The Melco Local USB-DAC player will play Music stored on open shares on the Network in addition to music stored on the Melco.
- Gapless playback is supported. (WAV FLAC AIFF ALAC)
- Melco Direct Local Play - browse and play music directly from the front panel without any requirement for an App or Ethernet connection. Support Repeat and Shuffle playback.
- CD transport
- A CD loaded into the optical drive offers choice to IMPORT or PLAY. Selecting PLAY
- the N1 functions as a high-end CD player allowing use of the latest USB-DAC technology with control from the front panel and informative display on the front panel OELD. Support Repeat and Shuffle playback.
- MELCO Markerless DSD Playback (Not DoP) - DSD file is played without PCM marking if the connected USB-DAC supports Markerless DSD playback. "DSD over PCM priority mode" applies DoP playback even if a connected USB-DAC supports Markerless DSD playback. Additionally, "Legacy" mode will work as previous firmware Ver 3.00-3.21 Local USB-DAC Player.
- TIDAL/Qobuz support - play songs from streaming service on the connected USB-DAC. Compatible App to play from streaming service: Bubble UPnP (Android only), Kazoo, mconnect.
- No PC required for setup and installation - no specialist knowledge needed.
- Pre-installed media server - no configuration required.
- Supports multiple specialised media servers - currently shipping with Twonky 7 with DSD support.
- Informative OLED front panel display - displays current streaming track data, system status, and setup.
- Simple menu navigation structure and track selection.
Support file（LAN）:DSF, DFF, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF, AAC, MP3, WMA, OGG, LPCM
Support file（USB）:DSF, DFF, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF, AAC
Sampling frequecy（LAN）:44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176K, 192K, 384K, 2.8M, 5.6M, 11.3M
Sampling frequecy（USB）:44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176K, 192K, 384K, 2.8M, 5.6M, 11.3M
Support bit: 16-32bit(PCM), 1bit(DSD)
MELCO N1 Hardware
MELCO Direct Streaming Music + MELCO Ethernet Purifier
- Dual Ethernet ports - dedicated PLAYER port and LAN port
- Direct Mode allows N1 to connect to Player without any Router (Melco gives IP address to Player)
- RJ-45 with low noise light pipe LED indicators
- Micro miniature high performance network pulse transformers
- Audio grade ultra-low jitter internal data clock
- High data integrity and precision low jitter clock buffer
- FPGA voltage control system
MELCO Local USB-DAC Player
- Simply connect a USB-DAC to the connected port to use the N1Z/2 as Player and Transport
- Play Local stored music, Network music from UPnP player, Streaming Music (requires Android Tablet), USB Music and CD
- Control and music selection from the front panel OLED display
- Control from your favourite iOS or Android App
MELCO Clear and Dynamic Power Supply
- Low noise 30W x2 medical grade power supplies and capacitor banks with audio grade film capacitors
- Dedicated supply for SSD / HDD and signal processing electronics to isolate noise
- 3 pole IEC mains inlet with noise filters maintain a noise free environment. Signal ground terminal defines the N1Z as the system source
- Revised internal wiring harness and noise isolation
- 2 x 3TB Small Form Factor HDD
- Heavy brass non-magnetic HDD foundation
- Dedicated Neutrik USB-DAC port
- Dual Power Supplies
- New capacitor bank with audio grade film capacitors
- New silver/black aluminium case
- New processing logic ( precision slow data writing and accurate high speed data retrieval)
- Self integrity check
Melco N1Z/2 is the flagship of the new Mk2 series. True audiophile source components designed for both Ethernet connected Players (Streamers) and for connection to a USB connected DAC.
The N1Z/2 is constructed as a true Hi-Fi source component with heavy anodised aluminium chassis sections bead blasted to a delightful finish, and with an internal rigid H frame to isolate vibration and isolate the various sections of the hardware.
Twin power supplies with additional capacitor banks with audio grade film capacitors isolate the HDD from the data processing, and multiple stages of noise reduction and isolation ensure the quietest possible environment for the sensitive electronics.
A precision low jitter clock handles the data flow whether to the USB-DAC or the Ethernet player.
The drives are mounted on massive non-magnetic foundation plate, and the N1ZS20 uses SSD with stable thick base plates and shielded top cover. The N1ZH has SFF drives – which have much less electrical noise than conventional 3.5 inch HDD.
Operation of the N1Z is very convenient, with a dedicated Neutrik USB 2.0 port for a DAC, and then 3 USB 3.0 ports for Easy Backup, Easy Expansion, Easy Import of CD or from USB drives, and Easy Play without import from USB drives or CD loader so that a legacy CD collection can benefit from the latest DAC technology. All without any requirement for a PC or any IT type devices in the audio system.
- Heavy aluminium extrusions, bead blasted to a beautiful anodised finish
- High stability noise eliminating H cross-frame construction for mechanical integrity
- Single press power button – same as Hi-Fi components and unlike any IT device
- Comfortable front panel buttons with positive click for easy operation
- OLED display to reduce internal noise
- Rear USB 3.0 ports – BACKUP, EXPANSION USB-DAC or Easy Import from Flash drive, CD drive or HDD
- 3 pole IEC mains inlet with true electrical ground to define source component as ground point, and internal power-line noise filter.
- TAOC vibration isolating feet
- N1ZH/2: large capacity SFF HDD (2 x 3TB RAID 0,1, Spanned)
- Latest low noise and low vibration SFF HDD design
- HDD is mounted on a heavy non-magnetic foundation within an isolated compartment of the H frame and is powered by a dedicated HDD power supply.